The Construction Assistant for DON Management will report to the Construction Manager and will perform tasks involving physical labor at construction sites. This includes operating hand and power tools of all types and cleaning and preparing construction sites.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following. Other duties as assigned.
- Clean and prepare construction sites to eliminate hazards and prepare site for working.
- Take direction from the Construction Manager and Assistant Construction Manager to determine on site construction activities.
- Load, unload, identify building materials, tools and distribute them to the appropriate locations and use them under the supervision of the Construction Manager and Assistant Construction Manager.
- Measure, mark or record openings or distances to layout areas where construction will be performed.
- Dig ditches, trenches, holes, and level earth to grade specifications using picks, shovels, tampers, and rakes.
- Aid in craft work such as carpentry, masonry, and plumbing.
- Mop, brush, or spread paints, cleaning solutions, or other compounds over surfaces to clean them or to provide protection.
- Position or dismantle forms by pouring concrete, using saws, hammers, nails, and bolts.
- Erect or dismantle scaffolding, shoring, braces, traffic barricades, ramps, or other structures.
Employee will request direction for non-routine tasks but is expected to exercise judgment and authority consistent with procedures or routine behavior.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent and two years to five years related experience and/or training in construction; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and provide information to supervisors and co-workers by telephone, e-mail, or in person. Ability to write, enter, transcribe, record, store, and maintain information in written or electronic form. Ability to speak effectively before groups of consumers or employees of the organization.
Ability to solve problems and deal with variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of materials, methods and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings or other similar structures. Understanding of design techniques, tools and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and models.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Employee will possess the ability to bend, stoop, crawl and stretch.
Employee will have the physical ability to use job specific tools and apply all ranges of motion to properly handle said tools.